The need for a credit union was very forcibly brought to the attention of the members of the Haverhill Fire Department when a firemen’s ball was planned and new uniforms were needed to make a decent appearance at the ball. Although some were able to buy them outright many others needed to borrow and as a result were at the mercy of the local lending agencies.
The Haverhill Fire Department Credit Union was chartered on August 5, 1933 for Haverhill firefighters and their families. The first office was located at the Essex Street fire station. After 1 year of business, in August of 1934, the credit union had 91 members and $3,515.08 in assets. By 1950 the credit union had assets of nearly $41,000. In July of 1962 the office was moved to the Water Street fire station and by 1963 the assets had risen to $170,000.
In January of 1996 the credit union expanded its field of membership to include all public safety employees of the cities and towns that comprise the Northern Essex County Mutual Aid Network. By the end of 1996 the credit union had grown to $4 million in assets. In March of 2003, after extensive renovations, the office was moved to the old Armory Building at 75 Kenoza Avenue. In March of 2008 the credit union purchased the building from the City of Haverhill. Today we have 1,826 members and over $18 million in assets.